April 22nd is Earth Day! We wanted to share what At Home Apartments does to contribute to the sustainability of our planet.
The real estate industry plays a significant role in promoting sustainability practices. Buildings consume a significant amount of energy and contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. Therefore, sustainable real estate development is essential to reduce the carbon footprint of buildings and enhance their energy efficiency. At Home Apartments is committed to creating and maintaining sustainable communities.
We were the first property manager in Minnesota to invest in large-scale solar. In 2016, we took the bold step of installing a 148 kW solar garden on the parking ramp roof at CityVue Apartments in Eagan.
Our other commitments to sustainability include:
- Continuing to invest in solar (we have now installed more than 555 kW of solar on garage and building roofs)
- Electric vehicle charging
- Transitioning to smoke-free living
- Using LED lighting in building common areas
- Offering bike parking and storage
- Mounting photo eyes for all exterior and common area lights
- Using technologically advanced boilers for heating
- Providing Recycling Centers at all of our buildings
- Sourcing environmentally friendly, energy-efficient upgrades when replacing building materials (e.g., thermal-paned windows and insulated white membrane roofs for maximum seasonal efficiency)